Who gives planning permission approval?
Planning permission is under the jurisdiction of your local authority council or local planning authority which for the city of Brighton is Brighton and Hove City Council.
Your local planning authority will make its decision based on a number of factors known as material considerations. Some of these material considerations include:
- Possibility of loss of privacy, light or overshadowing
- Traffic and highway safety
- Effect on Conservation Areas and Listed Buildings
- Design and appearance of building materials
- Government policy
- Access for disabled persons
- Development plans for the community
- Conservation of nature
In some situations, neighbors are called upon to make suggestions and offer insights (especially in England and Wales) but their input will not necessarily affect the decision of the local planning authority except where material considerations are concerned.