More and more homeowners in Brighton are choosing to convert their loft rather than move to another home. There has been an increase in the number of homeowners who would rather develop their current homes instead of moving to a bigger property.
Apart from the fact that investing in a loft conversion can add up to 25% to the value of your home, there are many reasons why it is more advantageous to renovate or convert your loft rather than to move, including affordability and stress levels.
The desire to convert your loft is often accompanied by the need to add a roof window to your home. Installing these roof windows is not just for the visual appeal but because they are also beneficial to homes. Due to the natural light that comes with it, there is little need for artificial lighting and these windows create more space in your dream loft.
As one of the top loft conversion specialists in Brighton and nearby cities, we are often asked about installing roof windows and which type would best suit your home.
When it comes to loft conversion, Velux windows are the easiest and least expensive means of maximising your loft space. They are best suited to homes where the loft has sufficient headroom to enable you to make use of the all the available space. A Velux loft conversion requires substantially less construction work than other forms of loft conversions, making the process less disruptive and lengthy than it normally would be.
At Milosh Loft Conversions, we have successfully handled countless Velux loft conversions for our clients in Brighton. We have over 20 years’ experience in carrying out loft conversion projects for our clients and we will create a beautiful, functional space for you and your family that is guaranteed to take your breath away.
When it comes to handling the craftwork involved in your loft conversion, we do not use contractors or outsource your project to external builders. All the work we do on your Velux loft conversion is carried out by our own qualified and experienced team of seasoned craftsmen and tradesmen who bring along with them a wealth of experience gathered during years of first-rate loft conversions. We plan everything in advance to ensure your project is completed on time and also because we want you to be excited about your project and enjoy the fun of the build. Invest in the numerous benefits Velux windows has to offer by allowing Milosh Loft Conversions to add style and class to your home.
Benefits of Velux windows
The obvious name when it comes to loft windows is Velux. It is the most trusted and leading brand in the industry, so much so that people use the name Velux and roof winnows interchangeably. The hallmark of Velux windows is their ability to introduce natural light, ventilation and better quality of life into the rooms in which they are installed.When you use Velux windows in your loft conversions, you stand to enjoy the following:
- Velux are the leading producers of blinds for roof windows and skylights, so you can find the perfect fit for your window directly from the manufacturer.
- If your window is installed in areas which are difficult to reach, Velux offers remote control window options to open and close them.
- The windows are available with automatic capabilities. They also offer intelligent windows which have the capacity to detect whether it is raining or there is a slight change in the room temperature and open and close as needed. They also offer windows which improve the amount of insulation you get from noises out in the streets as well as a thicker and more durable layer of glass for added safety.
- They are a global leader and international brand so you are assured of the quality of their products.
- The windows can be installed without having to make major changes to the roof structure.
- Velux windows maximise the amount of natural light that enters the room throughout the day as they do not have a tendency to fall into the shadows as the sun moves across the sky. This reduces the money you would otherwise have to spend on electricity bills.
- You do not require planning permission for the installation of any Velux window except if the renovation work you are planning for your home needs it. Because of this, it is less expensive and time-consuming and ultimately, a quicker process than other types of loft conversions.
- It is a great option for maximising space and even if your room is not big enough, Velux windows create the illusion of even more space.
- Velux windows offer more ventilation in the loft. This is especially important if you won’t be installing an air-conditioner in the loft. You can open the window and control the amount of air that comes in on hot days.
- It is versatile in the sense that the windows can be fitted onto any property with a pitched roof. This means all kinds of properties can benefit from Velux loft conversions, unlike other forms of loft conversions which cannot be done on all types of roofs.
Things to consider before opting for a Velux window
Even though there are countless benefits associated with choosing a Velux window for your loft conversion, there are some points to take note of to avoid making mistakes. Here are 5 things to keep in mind before going ahead with your Velux loft conversion:
- If your roof needs fixing, do not try to add a Velux window skylight. Instead of exacerbating the weak condition of the roof, wait till you replace it before installing the skylight or roof light into your loft conversion.
- Do not choose a contractor or a loft conversion specialist for your Velux window installation simply because their price is cheap. Some people settle for the first contractor who approaches them without knowing that some of them are substandard, or at best, mediocre companies who know the only way they can get your business is by offering a far cheaper price than other loft conversion companies. They then proceed to use cheap materials during construction to reduce the overhead cost. Only specialist teams such as Milosh Loft Conversion should be contacted for your Velux windows installation for your Brighton home.
- When it comes to installation, it is necessary that you only work with a loft conversion specialist who ensures proper insulation of your loft. Do not install a single-glazed Velux skylight rather use the insulated type. Consider double-glazing windows and heating units that keep the roof warm on cold nights. Also, consider using an insulated glass lens rather than a plastic one and insulate your sidewalls especially if your roof light has to be tunnelled from roof to ceiling.
- Unless you are an architect or a loft conversion specialist, do not draw up plans for your loft conversion yourself. The major challenge with installing Velux windows is drawing up a plan which maximises natural light and space and you may end up making the mistake of facing your roof lights southwards. South-facing skylights can get incredibly hot so it is better installed on the north side, especially if you do not plan on installing an air conditioner in the loft conversion. Allow our experienced architects to handle the design aspect of your Velux loft conversion.
- Do not plug the ventilation holes of your Velux windows during installation.
Why choose us Milosh Loft Conversion for your Velux windows installation?
- Deciding you want Velux windows for your loft conversion is the easy part. The hard part, however, is choosing a loft conversion specialist to work with. At Milosh Loft Conversions, we use only high-quality Velux windows for the installation of your Velux loft conversions. We also offer a wide variety of styles and sizes and can advise you on the best position for your windows, and can provide a selection of sophisticated blinds to fit your Velux windows.
- We have over 20 years’ experience in the installation of roof windows which has gathered us a large and a solid reputation, coupled with positive feedback and referrals from satisfied customers.
- Due to the knowledge gained from years in the field, we can seamlessly incorporate the features you have been dreaming of into your Velux loft conversion in order to give you the loft of your dreams.
- Our professional team knows how to get the best from Velux windows and give you flawless fittings on any domestic or commercial project in Brighton regardless of the size.
- Our team of Velux window installers in Brighton are able to install roof windows for all types of rooves whether pitched or flat and offer repairs to existing roof windows.
- We offer the highest quality workmanship at a competitive price. If you chose us as your Velux loft conversion specialists, the price you sign up to will remain fixed with a clear breakdown of costs associated with your loft conversion.
To get a quote, call our phone number or complete the enquiry form on our website and we’ll arrange for a surveyor to visit your property. It is absolutely free of charge.
Yes, the price for is fixed. We send you a fixed quote detailing what the final cost entails. If you end up wanting more than was initially agreed upon, it will come at an extra cost.
Yes. All Milosh Loft Conversions include a 10 year guarantee for your peace of mind.
No. some Velux windows are able to reduce the amount of noise from the external environment using improved sound insulation. They are able to reduce noise pollution by 50% with Super Sound Insulation.
Yes, we do. We are aware that most of our clients are conscious of our environment and make use of eco-friendly materials in major aspects of their life. Because of this, we source for and use recyclable materials that reduce your carbon footprint. We could use timber walls, a sustainable material that is a good alternative to brick or concrete. It provides proper insulation and maintains good air quality, and is also cheaper.
We can attempt to reuse your existing roof types or recycled shingles and include double-glazed Velux windows that reduce heating bills and provide great insulation. We will also use low energy LED bulbs that reduce electricity bills, illuminate your loft and last longer than regular bulbs.
Yes, it is. Using a loft conversion specialist is better than working with a general builder or worse still, doing it yourself. Working with a professional loft conversion firm like Milosh Loft Conversions Brighton eliminates the risks and mistakes associated with conversions and installations ensuring you get your money’s worth. This is because we have over 20 years experience in Velux loft conversions and Velux window installations. The in-depth knowledge, planning and design you will enjoy with us cannot be compared to a general builder.
The actual cost of Velux loft conversion varies depending on the number of windows needed and the size of the roof. The average cost of a Velux loft conversion varies from £28,000 to £35,000 plus VAT depending on your conversion needs. To get an accurate quote for your home in Brighton, contact Milosh Loft Conversions and we will send one of our highly experienced surveyors to the property and your requirement will be discussed in detail and your measurements taken.
Yes, you can. Our goal is to create the living space you desire so we have no problems using an existing plan as long it corresponds with Brighton’s building regulations.
We assign a project supervisor to your project who conducts regular inspections to ensure that the work is carried out to our very high standards. They will update you and answer any questions you have.
Even though you may, it is not advisable that you undertake the project by yourself. The installation is a complicated process that sometimes involves building regulation sign-off and the local planning department. Apart from the amount of work, there is the inherent danger of injuring yourself or even extensively damaging your home. This is the reason why most Brighton residents contract their loft conversion to a specialist company such as Milosh Loft Conversions.
Start by asking your neighbours, friends or colleagues for recommendations. Ensure that the Velux loft conversion firms they listed have the right credentials and certifications. Also, be sure they meet industry specifications for loft conversion companies and that they are registered with a relevant competent scheme.
When that is done, check out the company online and read their reviews and testimonials. Do they have a website that inspires trust? Where is their office located? Who answers the phone when you call their contact number? Who have they worked for in the past? These are ways to verify that the company is legitimate.
Finally, before you commit to them, ask to see other Velux loft conversions they have done. A professional conversion specialist will be happy to put you in touch with a client they have worked with in the past. Milosh Loft Conversion is an NIC EIC approved contractor. We are also members of the Federation of Master Builders and we have worked with a number of homes in Brighton and nearby cities with more than satisfactory results.
At Milosh Loft Conversions, we pride ourselves on being a full customer orientated service. It is very rare that customers have issues with their installations and loft conversions but in the rare case that you do, our team of friendly contractors will come and fix the problem.
As a leading loft conversion company in Brighton, we have diverse collections of loft conversions and Velux window installations that we have done for different homes and we are more than happy to show you our portfolio of completed work in any style of loft conversion that you are interested in. There is a good possibility that we have designed and installed some of the Velux windows you have seen around Brighton. Contact us and we will give you our case studies containing descriptions and images of previous work we have done in order to understand what your completed work will look like.
If you live in a conservation or heritage area or you live in a flat, planning permission may be required. Any work that alters the roofline requires special consent. Failure to obtain the consent means your loft conversion is illegal and you could be fined or imprisoned in extreme cases.
However, that should not discourage you. The focus is mostly on preserving the surrounding environment not necessarily the general style of the home. We can provide you with free advice, help you through the planning process and with our architectural team, we can ensure that all work meets building regulations.
Velux windows do not leak regardless of the installation or climate. Because of this, they offer a 20 year warranty for specific product coverage issues. They also offer a hail breakage warranty for up to 10 years.
Yes, we are. We have employer’s liability insurance and public liability insurance of £10,000,000 and £1,000,000 respectively. We also offer a free 1 year maintenance guarantee apart from our 10 year structural guarantee.
A Velux conversion is one that uses roof light windows, Velux windows are most often installed into the pitch of the roof to give light. There is no visible extension of the loft beyond the existing roof line, therefore, planning permission is not required.
A Velux loft conversion is one of the simplest conversion types and requires less construction work and time than Dormer or Mansard. It can be completed in less than 4 weeks.
There are many ways to pay for your Velux loft conversion project for your Brighton home. They include:
- You can re mortgage your home. To do this, you must have equity in your home for the amount you need to borrow, including a deposit.
- If you have savings, you can leverage those to pay some of the cost of a home renovation. Savings is the cheapest way to pay for a loft conversion as you are not charged bank interest. You could also look into a credit card reward or cashback deal to pay off the balance if your savings are not enough to cover the full cost of the dormer loft conversion.
- You can take out a personal loan if you have a good credit history. It is cheaper than re mortgaging but you have to consider if you can afford the monthly payments on top any financial commitments you have.
- You can pay for your project in instalments. We can sit with you and map out a payment structure starting from the first stage of the project and finishing before the final stages.
Planning permission is not required as the structure of your roof is not in any way altered, seeing as only windows are added. The conditions and limits that should not be exceeded are:
- No alteration can be higher than the highest part of the roof or stand out above the roof ridge.
- Any windows installed must protrude no more than 150 mm above the existing roof plane.
- Side facing windows are to consist of obscure glazing for privacy purposes and should not be able to be opened unless they are 1.7 m above the floor.
Installing a Velux window into an existing roof is regarded as a material alteration because it is technically a structural and or thermal alteration. An external window, however, is classified as a “controlled fitting” under the Building Regulations, and the standards outlined with regards to it must be met. To avoid confusion, use a registered installer and a professional loft conversion specialist like Milosh Loft Conversions. We are approved to carry out the work in such a way that it complies with building regulations without having to involve any local authority building control. You will get a certificate after the work is completed stating that the work was done by a registered installer and also, your fees will be cheaper as you are removing building control fees.
No, you have to be aware of the different kinds of roof materials. Velux flashings are compatible with virtually any type of roofing material from standard covers such as slate and tile, to corrugated sheeting or even thatch. There are also different Velux flashings to allow either a standard or recessed installation into the various roofing materials.
Velux windows provide plenty of natural light and ventilation into a loft conversion while still retaining your privacy. They are ideal for offices, bedrooms and bathrooms. During the summer, you can use a blackout blind to reduce the intensity of the sunlight and thereby reduce the heat. Some Velux windows offer a Cabrio system which transforms the window into a balcony giving you optimum sunlight and ventilation with a magnificent view.
Certainly not. Some Velux windows known as Smart Windows do more than let in light and ventilation. They have the ability to open and close automatically depending on the temperature or weather. They are powered either by the mains or by the sun and come with a rain sensor so that once it starts raining, the windows automatically close.
Yes, it can. Installing Velux windows into your Brighton home is considered a safe and a sound investment which adds value to your property. They can improve your life as well as increase your home’s value. Keep in mind that natural light is a big selling point for home buyers so adding Velux no leak roof lights can increase your home’s efficiency and appeal to potential buyers.
Yes. Centre-Pivot roof windows are designed to be installed on a roof pitch from 15° to 90°, depending on the roofing material and flashing selected. Top Hung roof windows are designed to be installed on a roof pitch from 15° to 75° or 55° to 75° with special springs depending on the roofing materials and flashing selected. Velux also offers a range of flat roof solutions which can be installed on rooves with a pitch from 0° to 15°.
Loft conversion is one of the most popular home improvement projects in the UK. Homeowners carry out loft conversion projects specifically to give their home extra space at very little cost. Need more space in your home? Planning a loft conversion
A loft conversion provides you with much needed space in your home, as well as significantly increasing its value. In fact, studies show that a property can increase as much as 20% above market value if improvements, such as a
Areas We Cover
- Loft Conversions in Hollingbury
- Loft Conversions in Withdean
- Loft Conversions in Patcham
- Loft Conversions in Saltdean
- Loft Conversions in Black-Rock
- Loft Conversions in Moulsecoomb
- Loft Conversions in Ovingdean
- Loft Conversions in Preston
- Loft Conversions in Kemp-Town
- Loft Conversions in Woodingdean